Thursday 2 April 2009

I Was Just Sitting Here Thinking...


You can never have enough soul. Recently due to a chance acquaintance I have found myself raking through my soul collection and I have been rediscovering some gems that I'd forgotten all about. I have thus been inspired to share. 

I can only find two songs by her but when one of them has this lazy honey vocal coming in over the upbeat horns and backing singers it's enough.

Just listen to the opening of this video when it's just him and a bit of guitar and a smattering of bass. Though I apologise in advance for his suit.

The "Soul Queen of New Orleans" will always be one of my number ones. I could have picked any number of her songs but this one just seemed appropriate for a rainy day.

His voice just makes me feel like I'm all cocooned and besides I'm a sucker for a bit of a bass line, something that sounds like spangles and a splash of flute.

You can't do a list like this without Etta and though I admit Beyonce pulls it out the bag she'll never touch this. A close contender for my all-time favourite song.

The list could go on but I'll save some for another rainy day...

1 comment:

Lucy said...

A little soul-education. Top tips.