Sunday 19 April 2009

Amazing Grace

Written by Englishman John Newton, Amazing Grace first appeared in print in 1779. First recorded in 1922 by Brunswick Records it has since become most recognised as a classic gospel spiritual. It's been recorded by as wide a range of artists as you could think of, from classic gospel versions to a bagpipe version by the 'Dropkick Murphys' a Boston Irish punk band. In my eyes it's arguably the best gospel song ever though I do waver between it and 'His Eye Is On The Sparrow'. 

Here are some of my favourite recordings:

Everyone knows she literally can barely put a foot wrong in my book and I do recommend her at any occasion but this had to be included. The timing on this version is ridiculously good. 

The queen of gospel some say, that could be debatable but this version is classic and the piano behind her is wonderfully epic and flourishing. Plus her voice is just incredible especially around 3.40 into this video.

This isn't to everyone's taste, he does tend to warble all over the place but I love his voice and if there's organ involved I'm sold.





No comments: