Monday 30 March 2009

There's A Dream That I See


"You Are Free" is the 6th album from the American muscian Chan Marshall aka Cat Power. Released in 2003 on Matador records it is arguably one of her best works to date. While some like the smooth soulfullness of "The Greatest" with it's blues band instrumentals and Marshall's voice at it's smokey best or the clever innovativeness of "The Covers Records" reworkings it is "You Are Free" that I always find myself returning too. 

I came to "You Are Free" relatively late for a self proclaimed fan of Chan Marshalls work. The soul fan in me had been drawn to the lilting trumpets and rich sound of "The Greatest". However over the summer I was lucky enough to get a job where one of the perks was free CD's. So it was that one grey summer's day I found myself on the way home from work on a sweaty london tube with "You Are Free" in my discman (yeah that's right I still use a discman and I love it).

It caught me instantly right then and there, the breathless, tear stained quality of Marshall's voice over the clinking piano chords and the echoing fuzzy guitar lines. There is pure haunting emotion in every single second of the album whether it's the lonely sparseness of "I Don't Blame You" with it's echoing harmonies. Or the pure resigned heartbreak of "Good Woman" which contains some of the saddest lyrics of all time. Or her soaring vocals on "Maybe Not" or the underlying aggression on "He War" with it's percussive guitar. 

I could go through every song on the album and heap praise upon it but I have a feeling that could get pretty boring so I will end urging you to give it a listen or indeed any Cat Power.
Yes she's unpredictable and emotional and ever so slightly mental but it's all part of the charm. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to learn that, according to iTunes, I have listened to Song To Bobby 122 times...